July 12, 2009

5 Hours South of Bangkok



Here's a picture of my apartment. I'm living in a very small town south of Prachuap Khiri Khan and north of Thap Sakae in the gulf of Thailand. I'm using the word "town" very liberally in that there isn't really enough here to even qualify as a town. There is one restaurant, one convenience shop and a school. I'm in the part of Thailand that is very narrow. About 2 kilometers east is the ocean and to the west are the mountains and the Burmese Border.

My job is hard. I'm teaching decently difficult math and science to 7-9th graders. Fortunately my classes are small (5-8 students per class) but they still manage to push my abilities of classroom management to the limits. Lesson planning takes forever because in addition to trying to figure out how to teach math and science in an interesting way I'm also having to study a bit to refresh my memory as to how to find the least common denominator and the identifying the various steps in the nitrogen cycle. Some of the science is basically chemistry which I can't even fake like I know what I'm talking about. So we'll just be skipping over those chapters.

There is one other american teacher at the school and we are the only white people in the town. We both have motorbikes though so it will be good to have a travel partner for weekend escapes.

3 comments:

  1. lol. teach them how to mix drinks, that's chemistry.

    is that your bike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know right... maybe you can get one of your students to tutor you. :)

    ReplyDelete